Little Stones

Our son Scott and his fiancee Erin were visiting us this weekend.  He lives and fishes in and around the Endicott, NY area.  We were tying up some turkey tail nymphs for him to use because he's been seeing some small winter stones while fishing... The last time I was out fishing on 2/9/12, I saw a few of our small stone flies on the creek too.  It won't be long before they are out in earnest.  So, tie some up and be ready for them.

Here are two nymphs that I like.

Korn's Oatka Stone Nymph (soft-hackle)


Hook: #14 - 1xl nymph
Thread: 8/0 Uni Black
Tail & Body: turkey tail
Rib: small copper wire
Thorax: black dubbing
Soft-hackle: iridescent turkey neck feather


Rene Harrop's Turkey Tail Nymph


Hook: #14 - 1xl nymph
Thread: 8/0 Uni Black
Tail, Body, wingcase, thorax and legs: turkey tail
Rib: small copper wire

Comments

  1. I use turkey tails in place of pheasant tails for bodies and they work well. I have plenty of tail feathers so I need to use them up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...... I do lots of turkey hunting.... thanks for the comment, Doug. PS. Nice looking blogs as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making dubbing 101 a step-by-step by Doug Korn.

My last post on Blogger

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers