Part 13 Fly Rod Rebuild: Kingfisher Completed.

This weekend I finished up the Kingfisher fly rod. Yep-eee! This project took a lot more time to complete than I ever expected. Six coats of finish on the bamboo sections and five coats of finish on all the guide wraps. Now the rod needs a good week or so to cure before I put a line on it, can't wait. All and all I think it came out nicely. By no means is it master rod builder quality..... but it's the best I can do with my tools and abilities to date. Next up, is to complete the spare rod tip section for the Kingfisher and start the H&I Featherlight rod... My wife Michelle, has agreed to make a couple of rod bags-sleeves for the rods and I'll begin looking for some storage tubes... maybe some thin walled PVC, if I can find it... Hope you all like the work...










Comments

  1. Doug, Really nice job Sir! I'm impressed.....new life restored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ralph... it was a challenging project... I learned a lot and the next one will be just that much easier, I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank s Alan... I'm looking forward to it...

      Delete
  4. Looks great Doug. Mazzletof. I'm addicted to bamboo, as well. Presently, I'm rebuilding an HI Tonka Queen. I refinished it with 7 coats of TruOil rubbing it with 0000 steel wool between coats. I removed the original worn out threaded plastic (green tenite) reel seat and await a nickle plated Garrison interrupted thread replica seat. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice John.... I'd be interested in seeing some photos, if you can... Sounds like a great project.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making dubbing 101 a step-by-step by Doug Korn.

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers

tying the Neversink a step-by-step