Feathers on the fly... Turkey down!

May first was opening day of the turkey season here in NY and I was in my blind for a whole 40 minutes before I shot this gobbler.  Here in NY we can take two birds so I like to put one in the pot as fast as I can and then hunt for a "big boy" long beard...

We did see some long beards (far left tom strutting) but they were too far for a shot and had lots of hens already, so our calls went unanswered.



The jake had a 4 3/4  inch beard and I called him in with a Marlin D. Watkins box call.



Cleaning the bird.

We also found a woodcock's nest with 4 little eggs in it.  I snapped a picture while momma timber-doodle did her best to divert us by playing hurt and injured.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tying the Found Link (by Kelly Galloup)

tying the Isonychia Nymph

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers