I hadn't been out turkey hunting till yesterday... better late than never!
Shot this big old gobbler at 11:30.
9 3/4" beard
1 1/4" spurs - a real limbhanger!
Hook: MFCo. 7048 light scud #14-18
Thread: 8/0 Uni olive
Tail/Shuck: Bronze nylon yarn
Abdomen: dyed turkey biot - BWO
Wing Post: seatbelt material (or gray nylon yarn, etc.)
Hackle: Med. Dun rooster clipped on the bottom
Hook: MFCo. #7000 Dry 14-18
Thread: Serafil 200
Rib: tag end of thread
Abdomen: DK#12 Caddis Tan dubbing split thread and spun
Palmered hackle: ginger rooster neck.
Wing: 2 hen pheasant wing or neck feathers
1. Start thread at eye, wrap thread base to bend of hook, leave tag end for rib.
2. Split thread, dub and spin, form tight dubbing noodle, wind forward to form body.
3. Tie in hackle 1 eye length behind eye, palmer front to back.
4. Trap hackle at bend with the tag end of the thread, wrap through hackle and tie off at eye, clip hackle short on top..
5. Prepare 2 pheasant wing or neck feathers, tied in flat one on top of the other, 1 gap length longer than hook, tied behind eye then folded over to form head and wrapped and whip finished. Varnish head, clipped “^” out of center, bottom hackle.