YNP - Lava Creek Trail Hike

Michelle and I hit the trail for a hike today. Of course I can't go anywhere near water without one of my fly rods in tow. So, we started at the Lava Creek trail head near Undine Falls in YNP and our goal was to hike down to the confluence of Lava Creek and the Gardner River.

Undine Upper Falls

Mammoth Hot Springs from a-far...

Getting closer to Mammoth Hot Springs.


Along the way Michelle found a rock...
Our lunch spot next to Lava Creek, just above the confluence with the Gardner River...

Well I had to try a cast or two... 

Yep, little Rainbow trout, just as I had remembered when I fished this creek in 2009...

Cute little buggers aren't they, I caught several as we moved up river from place-to-place...

then BAM, my Adams fly got hammered, notice the bend in my 4wt. fly rod!

...and caught a very big Brown trout for these waters, yeah baby...
The hike back to the truck was all up hill, but hey we had the wind at our backs, not that it helped... about 5.4 miles today round trip, a most excellent little hike that Michelle and I enjoyed very much.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making dubbing 101 a step-by-step by Doug Korn.

My last post on Blogger

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers