Stoned...


Tying some of my Korn's Holiday Stone Fly Nymph's today...
When I designed this fly for Parks Fly Shop I wanted to produce a more realistic stone fly nymph pattern that has lots of flash.  It was designed for visibility in high muddy water conditions sometimes found in the early fishing season on the Yellowstone River.  

Materials List: Hook: 
Eagle Claw Aberdeen #6  
Bead: 4 mm black bead 
Thread: Serafil 120 dark olive brown 
Tail/Legs: black biots or natural split by ball of dubbing 
Rib: nylon quilting clear thread
Wingcase/shellback: pearl Easter basket mylar folded twice 
Abdomen: black yarn, 3 ply. 
Thorax: black dubbing 
Collar: loose black dubbing 

#6 Korn's Holiday Stone Fly Nymph


Comments

  1. Doug, I like it alot. Mylar on black always seems to do well. I think it picks up the blue in the Mylar better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Ralph, this fly has been a staple in the shop out West since 2008 when I first tied it.... I tie a smaller version in size 12 for here in the East....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making dubbing 101 a step-by-step by Doug Korn.

My last post on Blogger

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers