Go take a hike!

Folks, if the eyes on my fly rod will freeze up, then it's too cold for me to go fishing.  So instead, I go take a hike!  

Name:  P1050777.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  94.8 KB
Took a hike on some state land here in NY. The primary goal for today was to see if I could find some "fat wood". I had a little stand of pines in mind and it didn't disappoint me.

Name:  P1050783.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  51.8 KB
Pack and gear for this trip...

Name:  P1050781.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  81.1 KB
A nice downed pine with partial root exposure had just what I was looking for and the G&B axe chopped out several nice sized chunks of it. 

Name:  P1050782.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  42.3 KB
The good news is there's plenty more there for the future in that one tree.

Name:  P1050785.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  60.9 KB
After stowing the fat wood I hiked through some hardwoods and up a steep hill. I then noticed some deer tracks in the trail ahead and they looked very fresh.... As I exited the woods and broke into a small field I turned and peeked over the hill to find two deer standing there looking back at me. I managed to snap this photo with my point and shoot.... 

Name:  P1050800.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  P1050790.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.6 KB
I hiked for some time and ended up in an area I deer hunted once this past fall and remembered a big rock with a creek near by, perfect for a fire reflector and some coffee.

Name:  P1050794.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  72.3 KB
Coffee's on...

Name:  P1050797.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  P1050805.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  57.5 KB
After coffee I had a nice walk back to the truck, enjoying the views and a little bit of NY sunshine, now and then... 

thanks for looking, Doug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tying the Found Link (by Kelly Galloup)

tying the Isonychia Nymph

Fly tying - Hendrickson and Blue Quill CDC Emergers